Fractured wrist, had fiber glass cast. Now stiff wrist, hurts to exercise. Should I ignore pain?

hi, i had a fractured wrist and had a fiber glass cast on for two months.i got my cast removed and according to x-rays my fracture has healed alright.But my wrist has become really stiff. My doctor has given me some exercise.But I m enable to move my wrist downwards.It really hurts when I try to force it down,so i avoid doing it.Should i try to force my wrist down or just ignore it and only move it sightly till i can use and move it normally?? Thank you..
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
Stiffness of joint is common after prolonged casting. After cast removal you have to do a good physiotherapy of te jonit to regain the range of motion. It is common to have some pain durin exercise.But if it is too much and it is tender to touch , then you need to consult your doctor.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
 Soaking the wrist in warm water before exercise can help reduce pain and stiffness.

Try simple exercises like moving your hands and fingers around for a few minutes several times a day. A little bit makes a big difference.

Your strength and movement will be reduced. It will gradually improve over time but until then be careful when lifting or carrying heavy objects.

Most broken wrists  heal within six weeks but It can take many weeks for your wrist to feel normal again but you should find that using the hand becomes easier as time goes on. 
I hope it helps.