For how many days should one take medicines prescribed for high LDL ?

My husband is having high LDL cholesterol - 168, doctor prescribed him the below medicines for a course of 3 months. What is the purpose of these tablets , any side effects there? Also if we started to take once these course do we need to continue it for life long?? Medicines are Morning Before food (empty): ATORSAVE-EZ 10mg(ATORVASTAT), PANSPED 40mg Night after food: WEBICARD 2.5 mg, CLAVIX 75mg. Please let me know as soon as possible.
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012