Flat, reddish, itchy bumps on back and shoulders. What is this?

I have flat topped reddish-purple bumps on my back and shoulders. THey are very itchy. Starting to spread onto mid/lower back and one spot on my right hip. My allergist gave me a cream to rub on the spots. It was helping a little bit but new bumps continue to crop up. I have had these for years. A dermatologist treated me for several years until he retired. He did not know what the spots were or what caused them. I noticed that if I take a large dose of hydroxzine (about 9 tabs) each morning the itching is not as bad. I also have lots of bumps on my scalp and occasionally they are in my nose . The ones on my scalp really itch and scab over. I scratch them until I can get the scabs off. The bumps in my nose are very painful. If I use the cream in my nose the bumps clear up. My mother had similar bumps on her scalp in later years. She rubbed them so much that she lost her hair where the bumps were. Her scalp looked like she had little craters all over the top of her head. I don t know if they are related to me or not. She had lots of untreated allergies. I have lots of untreated allergies also. Do you have any idea what this gross stuff is? Thanks for your input.
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012