Fever, body pain, losing weight. Unable to diagnose virus. Advice?

I have a grandson that lives in Wichita KS. He has been terrible ill with fever, aches, not able to eat much. He was in the hospital in Wichita for a week and they really never came up with anything except it was a virus. They can not determine which virus and are treating it as West Nile? However just released from being in the hospital and still very sick. The doctor knows it is a virus but doesn't know what kind? 4 weeks and no diagnosis or treatment that is helping his condition. He has lost weight.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi!
welcome to HCM!
Fever is a symptom and not a disease by itself. Fever is brought down using antipyretic drugs like paracetamol which is a safe and effective treatment for fever.
The most important approach in the treatment of fever is to identify the underlying cause and treat it.Since in your grandson's blood test some virus has been identified so I think there is nothing to worry.In some viral infections, the fever may be self-limiting(that is, the fever will disappear once the infection is cleared).
Hope this helps!Take care!