Felt numbness in ankle, noticed a bigger than pea size lump. Is it dangerous?

Hello. This morning my 45 year old husband was walking normally and felt something go like a little funny or numb in his ankle. He looked down at it and there along his bone (on the ball on side of ankle) was what he thinks is a nerve. It s a little bigger than a pea size. It is popping out. Is that dangerous? It doesn t hurt or anything. Just popped right out.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

From the given description, I feel that the popping out structure that is felt at the level of the malleolus (ball of the joint) could be a subluxating peroneal tendon while moving the ankle.

Its definitely not dangerous at the same time not an issue to be neglected.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management .

Hope this information is helpful. Good day