Fell down on steps, knee, leg injury, swelling, bruising, pain. Medical attention required?

Hi, I fell down a full flight of outdoor wooden stairs at school 2 days ago, they were wet from the rain! My left lower leg and knee seem to have taken the full brunt of the fall. I had my shin x rayed and it was fine, but my knee is swollen and very bruised and painful. I was told to keep moving around, I just want to make sure I m not making it worse and should I bother my doctor or will it get better on its own? Many thanks
Asked On : Mon, 1 Oct 2012