Feet swollen after tripping over and cutting big toe nail. Possibility of something broken?

The other night i was running, and had no socks/shoes on and tripped over something, it was dark and i couldn t see what it was but it cut the top of my foot and some of my big toe nail. Its toward the top of my left foot closer to my toes and is about 4 in long and 2 in wide. I have cleaned it but my foot is still pretty swollen. I play football so was wondering if it would be safe to run, even though i limp around, or if something may be broken because its so swollen. I will give a picture
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
Hello. Welcome to hcm.
As there was a cut and now there is a swelling,x ray might be necessary.
I adivice you to visit surgeon who wil decide on either to put stiches(as wound is 4inch long) or simple put bandage. You should give time to body so that it heals. If not,the wound wil increase in size and cause more problems. There may not be any bones broken but care of wound is absolute to prevent any secondary infection by stitch and antibiotics.
All the best