Feeling of explosion in the throat, intense pricking throat pain, metallic taste in mouth. Reason?

My father just came to me and said that it felt like there was explosion in his throat and then he got pins and needles feeling right after; plus a metallic taste for a few moments. His thoat hurts him now and I am wondering what this could be. What are the possible reasons behind this? Thank you, Lee.
Asked On : Mon, 19 Mar 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hi bill
welcome to healthcaremagic

it could be a throat infection or spasm the reasons of which can be inferred only after thorough examination by an ENT specialist