Feeling nervous while talking to people, difficulty in socializing. Any advice?

Hello. I would like to have help with a nervous problem of mine. I am kind of good in social situations, but when meeting new people, and i think highly of them as in if they are high status people, i either avoid the situation or become really nervous when speaking. Sometimes, I choke right in the middle of the conversation because of my nervousness . I love meeting new people and such, and at night time when i go out to party, i dont get this problem. but in school, (im 16 years old), i cant socialize and talk to new people because my nerves get the best of me. Any tips? I would like to have other advice than going to therapy . Thank you in advance, Alex.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013