Feeling bulge in abdomen while exercising, abdominal pain. What can be done?

Years ago I felt a kind of tear (felt like a zipper being unzipped up my abdomen ) when I was reaching over my head to grab something. Not full blown hernia but was told it was a pre-hernia. I now have a bulge when I do sit-ups but not otherwise though I often have an ache in the area. When I have to push hard during a bowel movement I also feel like something is trying to push out through my belly button but it goes away after bowel movement is done. I ve been told that I have to wait for it to finally rip and push through before anything can be done. Is this true? are there exercises or other things I can do to help prevent this? Should it be affecting my ability to perform sexually? I am 46 yr old, Caucasian male, 6 1 , 255 lbs, w/ good health history otherwise other than elevated blood pressure and cholesterol . I work as a corrections officer and wear a duty belt if that is relevant.
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013