Fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness at elevations. Oxygen supplements help. Treatment?

I am a healthy 51 year old male, but I have trouble at elevations above 6500 feet or so. I occasionally need to travel to such places. Simply passing through does not present a problem, but if I spend any time there I experience fatigue , shortness of breath, light-headedness and dizziness . I usually pass through by car and have no trouble, but I am afraid that if I am detained by weather, car trouble, or flight delays, I could become very sick. I ve been told that supplimental oxygen would alleviate the symptoms, but I have no health insurance and no regular doctor. I am otherwise very healthy. I suppose my question is would it be practical to carry oxygen in case the need arises, and how is such a unit obtained? I live in the XXXX and have lived at or very near sea level my entire life.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012