Experienced sudden strong burning smell during mountain biking that disappeared within seconds. Cause of concern?

I was mountain biking in the mountains by myself. I experienced a very strong burning smell. Metalic like burning brakes. It was for just a moment. I thought to myself maybe I am overheating. I then thought to myself if it is a sign to slow down I will smell it again. before I even finished the thought I had the smell again even stronger. So much it was like I could taste it. Within a few seconds there was no trace of the smell. I took a break and have not had the smell again. Is this anything to be concerned about? or an indication of a problem. I am 39 yr old male.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response

Ocassionally if you are quite fatigued, you get these abnormal feelings of taste or visions that can be fleeting in nature.

But dysgeusia (distortion of taste in mouth) is usually caused due to certain chemicals or medications, so check these.
There are several reasons for dysgeusia and would point you to look up the wiki site if interested, but see a doctor if this continues.
The link:

Best Wishes.