Excurating headache after receiving an injection of steroid into knee joint. Orthopaedist did not help. Remedy?

I develop an EXCRUCIATING headache after receiving an injection of steroid into my knee joint. The pain begins about 2 hrs post injection, peaks and remains at a very high level for about 8 -10 hours then gradually declines over two days. What causes this? My orthopedist shrugs his shoulders and isn't really interested in helping me with this issue. My greatest concern is that it might cause a CVA. Am I allergic to steroids and/or their preservatives and how can I go about narrowing down and discovering the exact cause of this reaction? Is it safe to have the injection to obtain the joint pain relief and endure the headache? I pack the top of my head in an ice pac during the peak of the pain.
What specialty could help me get to the bottom of this problem?. Would contacting a pharmacist at various pharmaceutical companies be of any help? (I am a 77 yr. old female with no co-morbidities.)
Suggestions please!!
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013