Excruciating pain in tooth post root canal. Is it possible?

Hello I went to the dentist on Friday to have him look at a tooth that was bothering me. I have previously had a root canal on this tooth and the gums above it are very tender. He said looking at the x rays that he couldn t tell anything was wrong, but because I was having symptoms he recommended I see an endodontist if it didn t get better over the weekend. My dilemma is that I can t get an appointment until Thursday with the endodontist, but I m going out of town on Wednesday. So my question is: after already having a root canal on this tooth is it even possible for this problem to turn into the same excruciating pain I had before the root canal? If so, I ll find another endodontist to see me before I leave town. If not, I ll wait to see an endodontist after christmas.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Hello there...root canal treated (RCT) tooth at times might result in pain after some time...improper irrigation and cleansing of the root canals while performing the treatment will lead to remnant of pulp tissue and bacteria to accumulate...improper obturation,( filling up of the canal) will lead to dead space within the canal leading to accumulation of microorganisms..this in turn would lead to infection causing you pain...
second reason might be that if your tooth is mobile and root canal treatment done was correct , owing to the weak periodontal support ( tissues around the tooth) of the tooth, infection would set in causing pain....get a radiograph done and get yourself evaluated...You can use a course of anti-inflammatory to over come your pain...dont worry...if the RCT is not fine it can be re-done....
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i would be glad to answer your query,
i would like you to know that whenever following the root canal treatment, pain persists then it clearly states reinfection,
ideally, tooth is retreated or extracted depending upon the current condition of the tooth,
but i would advise you to see an endodontist soon as infection spreads rapidly.
If the pain experienced by you is severe and spontaneous then i would advise you to see a dentist without delay in the appointment.
I cannot inform you if the current condition of the tooth is severe or better than before until checked clinically,
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health.
Dentist Dr. Preet Kaur's  Response
hi there
root canal treatment is done to get rid of the cavity which has reached till pulp but at times there is pain in tooth post root canal treatment due to
*Body's nonacceptance to the treatment done.
*Incomplete removal of infection.
*reinfection of the tooth.
*Failure of root canal due to unknown reason.(even done very precisely)
u need to visit your dentist again n explain him your problem. he might take a x ray to evaluate your problem by analyzing the same tooth or neighboring teeth.
pain killers tynelol 2 times a day and antibiotic amoxicillin 500 mg 2 times a day course can be take for 5 days to subside the pain and infection.
please visit ENDODONTIST as soon as possible.
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
If patient experiences pain after few months of root canal treatment and there is difficulty in chewing then the dentist has to be consulted because some times the infection is left or the filling is not done properly and it causes the pain. In such cases some times root canal re-treatment is recommended. But the diagnosis has to be made after taking the proper history, clinical examination and with x-rays.
Dentist Dr. Nidhi Gandhi's  Response
hello, ideally a root canal treated tooth does not give any pain sensation because it is non vital. the pain can be only if the root canal has falied wherein you may need a re-root canal treatment.
if the x-ray shows no fault in the the root canal treatment then the problem could be due to a periodontal condition (gum problem). this could be because initially, your tooth might be having an endo-perio problem out of which root canal is the endo treatment and your perio condition is still not treated hence, the pain. i suggest you must see a specialist with the x-ray of the tooth.
immediate treatment would be to take any pain killer till you can meet the specialist.