Excessive sleep in eyes and redness. Why are they shut with mucus in mornings?

the past two nights I have had an excess amount of sleep in my eyes, more in the right than left eye. My eyes are also red in the inner corners and veiny. I don t think it is pink eye because they aren t completely red and stuck shut with mucus in the mornings. Also, they aren t tearing a lot, but they do burn a little from time to time (especially the right eye). Is this possible allergies? even though I am not experiencing any other signs of allergies? or is it maybe some kind of infection I need to see an eye doctor for? Thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
it may be local eye allergy or snus infection
sinus acute infections also have same symptomps
take metrogyl 200 mg bd for 10 days
allegra 120 mg od
neomycin h eye ointment in nose and eyes bd
chromal forte eye drops in eyes tds
it may taje 2 wk to subside
take med for 2 wk will be ok