Electric shock in hand, feeling weakness, heaviness, chest pressure. Should I go to hospital?

Hi, about 20 minutes ago I touched a phone charger that was plugged into the mains and was switched on. It is split and has the wires exposed and I touched the wires with my right hand . I felt the shock in my hand but did not lose consciousness or get a burn . Even though I touched it with my right hand I have discomfort on my left side. My left arm and hand feels weak and heavy. The left side of my chest feels like it has a slight pressure on it. My heart beat is normally in the 70s and 80s but is now ranging from 58 to low 60s. Do I need to go to hospital? Thank you
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of severe electric shock and you are out of danger.

There is no need to rush to emergency at this point. However, you need to be evaluated by a doctor, preferably a neurologist and a cardiologist to exclude nerve damage in arms and a cardiac arrhythmia.

You would need to do nerve conduction studies and ECG.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: