Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Ears pierced, swelling, pus, pain, small lumps in ears, calcium deposits. Allergic reaction?

i had my ears pierced when I was five years old and had zero problems until my late twenties. I ve always had a nickel allergy , but even gold or neobium earring backs caused my left ear to swell horribly after wearing earrings for a day (really badly with pus and pain). There are small lumps in my ears I ve always had (I assume they re calcium deposits or the like), but have no idea why I am reacting so horribly to wearing earrings now.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  385
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Lisa..
Thanks for your query.

From your words it appears that you are allergic to certain metals, so its best to avoid them.As for the allergic episodes you can use antiallergy medications like Levocetrizine 5mg tablet twice daily for 5 days and for pain and inflammation you can use NSAIDS like Paracetamol-Aceclofenac combination.If it gets infected and forms pus then you may need antibiotic ointment too.Do consult a Dermatologist and do the allergen-specific IgE antibody testing to screen for an allergy to a specific substance or substances and avoid contact to such substances in future.And dont worry too much. You just need to learn which things suit you best .

Take care :)
Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Nupur K's  Response
Hello lisathompsen,

Welcome to the forum. Iif you have sensitive ears, you should be very careful about what you want to wear. You should chose those ear rings that are specially made for sensitive ears. Make sure if you can wear gold or silver earrings ( these do not cause allergy and most people are fine wearing it) but check it out before you wear.

You should also avoid wearing it for a long time. Wear it before a party or when you are outdoors and remove it as soon as you get back home.

You should never wear it at bed time. It may expose your ears to inflammation or allergy. Some anti-allergic medication can be of help to you. But you should take it under the supervision of a dermatologist and follow the doses strictly as prescribed.

Sometimes forceful wear results in a lot of complications like swelling in the entire affected ear lobe, redness and inflammation, pain , soreness, discharge that can be clear but irritating. You may have to take oral medications or injections if the ears get pus and infection.

You need to study yourself. Wear what suits you best. Have a nice day, take care.
Answered: Sat, 6 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor