Done surgery for femur break. Soreness due to rod breaking. What is the cause?

I had surgery out of state for a femur break. I had a rod and screws. I returned home after surgery and continued with my orthopedic surgeon who did previous knee replacements on me. 3 months after surgery I started rehab . After one week I developed some soreness and had an x-ray that showed that my rod had broken. In 2 weeks I have a planned suprgery to remove the rod and the plan is to do a bone graft or prothesis. What would have caused the rod to break? I was immobilized for 10 weeks and after rehab started I was braced and using a walker. Do I contract the doctor from out of state and inform him of what happened. Would this be a legal issue? My circumstances are such that I have a new deductible to meet of $5000 because I had cobra insurance that ended 6/10/12. I already have bills of $5800 from the cobra insurance. I also lost an opportunity to return to work and now I will be unable to and my unemployment has ended. The fact that the rod break has financially burdened myself and my family. Is the doctor who performed the first surgery legally liable??
Asked On : Tue, 3 Jul 2012