Done hysterectomy. Constipation, used Ex lax earlier. Can you help?

Hello I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on the 4th oct and I m still struggling to do a bm under my own steam shall I say! As I m still at home recovering and not at work I m reducing my portions of food to stop me from putting on any extra weight. I ve used ex lax intermitantly since the op but stopped permanently at the weekend (Sunday). Today I went to the toilet and went under my own steam but it took me a while. I m scared that my bm s won t get back to how they were prior to the op.. Can you help? Fiona
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
hi fiona... please do not worry as operation / any illness causes changes in the bowel movement..just relax.. do some yoga or breathing exercises.. walk slowly as much as you can.. take yakult small meals every 2-3 hours.. avoid junk, fried and processed foods.. have fruits, nuts, salads..drink 2-3 cups green ta/ 1 coconut water daily.. drink plenty of water...