Does gym has any effect on height ?

hi im 15,going to the gym at this age will have any negative effects on my height? btw im 168cm my dad is 1.71 and mom is 1.67 is it possible that i could be 1.75+? if not what supplements could i take to help me reach that height, thanks for your time
Asked On : Tue, 5 Jul 2011
hi,thanks for query.Please understand that at your age some increment in height may be possible.After this age increase in height in will be not be possible.As you grow under influence of hormones the end of the long bones fuses and you stop growing in height.please take good healthy food and do regular exercise.
wishing you good health.
General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
height depends on your genetic trait
you may reach or cross 1.71 if it is in your trait
free hand exercises and yoga are best at this age
better to avoid power exercises
high protein healthy balanced diet with regular exercises and a joyful life will help you attaining perfect a perfect body
Pediatrician Dr. Aseem's  Response
Welcome to HCM
read your prob, you are going to gym but make sure you should do work out under instruction as teen age work out differ from normal work out in gym. resent study shows if some one start work out in gym , his testosteron leval will be subnormal. so why u go there at this age, you should go for running it helps you more then you r in growing age, when you will be grown up (physically bone n muscles will be developed complete ) the start work out in gym.
Dr aseem 09982583020
General & Family Physician Dr. Jitender Chauhan's  Response
Hi, welcome to healthcaremagic. Height is determined both by genetic as well as environmental factors. At your age exercise can help you increase your height. But you should take care that you gym exercises under a certified trainer as overdoing or doing in a wrong way certain exercises can be harmfull for your health. Instead of any artificial supplements you can take a balanced diet rich in proteins and vitamins and minerals. Your gym trainer will be able to provide you with a diet chart which you can follow everyday. Wish you good health.