Does buTrans patches interfere with marijuana receptor sites and neutralize the high or euphoria associated with Marijuana?

I use medical maryjane, and the temp. euphoria is s welcome psych boost. Will butran (5,10,20) patches interfere with marijuana receptor sites and neutralize the high or euphoria associated with Marijuana? I have tried somking some very good pot for 3 mos. and the best I could get out of it was a occasional, very, slight calming-(which is why I didn t totally quit smoking pot. I just smoke it and am re-requited and unsatisfied. Thank you, M
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Buprenorphine (Butran patches) acts via opioid receptors while marijuana acts on cannabinoid receptors. Some neurons have both types of receptors and both drugs can influence these neurons. But apart from this, buprenorphine cannot directly neutralize the high from marijuana. I feel that the reason for your not getting a good high is that you have developed tolerance to marijuana, which is quite common after regular use. Try discontinuing marijuana for a few months to allow your brain cells to return to their previous state.

Hope this helps you. Best wishes.