Does Lithotripsy cause electric shock?

Lithotripsy? Is it real true electric? Will they be shocking my body?
Asked On : Sun, 6 Dec 2009
No, they will not shock you. They are sound waves that are used at high frequency to break up kidney stones.. You will be sedated and not feel a thing. Although the sound waves don't really hurt, they are used at such a high strength that the skin can become brush burned. My skin was brushed burned and a bit bruised after the procedure, but there was no residual pain. It is a relatively easy procedure. You are not immersed in water, either. It used to be done that way, but now you are positioned on a squishy pillow that helps conduct the waves.