Dizzy every time, lightheaded, BP is fluctuating. Is it vertigo ?

I have been dizzy for a couple weeks. Running on a treadmill, just walking at grocery store, even sitting down or laying down. I have felt lightheaded with my eyes even closed. I just feel a little foggy not sure if vertigo . When I had a spell my blood pressure was 100/56 but I have checked and its higher now 107/68. Vertigo? I checked my eyes for rapid eye movement and I am not having that while lying down
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013

Based on the information it seems like vertigo due to low blood pressure but need further investigation as there are many cause that can cause light headedness, as well as the low blood pressure.

***(A) LOW BLOOD PRESSURE - CAN put you to dizziness/loosing balance if the blood do not reach sufficiently to brain's center for balance due to some compression / obstruction in the blood vessel)
causes for low blood pressure
a) Hypothyrodism (low thyroid hormone, associated with fatigue, low energy and weight gain)
b) bradycardia (low heart rate)
c) heart failure (heart to weak to pump blood)
d) liver diseases
e) low sugar
f) Postural hypotension (position induced low blood pressure)

***(B) LABYRINTH APPARATUS PROBLEMS ( a organ present in ear which helps the sense of position)
cause of problems
a) Menier's Diseases , ( person feels dizzy, and associated with some hearing loss)
b) Viral labyrinthitis (person feels dizzy, or sensation of room moving around , vertigo)
c) Otolith (small stone in ear canal makes feed dizzy , but dizziness comes at certain position/movement only).
d) Problems with the vestibular nerve (hearing/balance nerve)

1) If possible try to CONSULT PHYSICIAN / NEUROLOGIST (Brain doctor)

2) There are number of test that still needed to be done in order to come to conclusion which are as follow
a) May need CT-BRAIN with dye to check the blood supply channel.
b) blood test of thyroid hormone level check, lever enzyme profile, sugar level
c) physical test for orthostatic hypotension (position induced low blood pressure)
d) Audiometery to check any HEARING changes/problems
e) labyrinthine stimulus test to check the apparatus.

hope it helps

Anonymous's Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

If there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo.

If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension.. Did you check your BP?
It can be from anaemia – what is your haemoglobin?
Has an ECG been done?

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially in the presence of tinnitus. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with you.

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by a neurologist.

In the mean time, medicines like betahistine or flunarazine alone or in combination may help

See your GP first

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck