Discolouration on upper arms and biceps, no pain or discomfort. Cure?

I am quite pale and for as long as I can remember, I ve had very odd darkish discolouration on my upper arms/ biceps . It ranges from dark red to purplish-blue, but doesn t come with pain or discomfort, it s merely and eyesore and has made me so insecure since I first noticed it, that I m never seen in public without cover my upper arms. What could this be?
Asked On : Mon, 2 Apr 2012
I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

Now you seem to be having macular amyloidosis.

This is a pigmented skin condition.
There occurs skin deposits of amyloid protein.
But is is essentially harmless but cosmetically, looks bad.

Do not rub the area, as it will increase the pigmentation.
You need to apply a lightening agent like kojic acid.

You may see a dermatologist for other measures like chemical peeling.

Hope it helps,

Dr Geetika Paul.