Difficulty swallowing, not responding to simple commands. On treatment for UTI. Stroke symptoms?

My 79 year old mother was admitted into ICU two weeks ago exhibiting signs of stroke . In ER she was treated for infection they believed that started as a UTI . They pumped her with fluids and anti-biotics. Then, she developed septicemia. Currently she in still in ICU; she is having trouble swallowing and is on a feeding tube . I initially thought she had a stroke. No MRI has been done to verify this. The speech therapist says her problem is muscular - not neurological, however, I have doubts about this. She is not alert at all and is not responding to simple commands. The nurses say it s possible she developed ICU syndrome being in ICU this long. They just moved her to a regular hospital room today, however, she is still on feeding tube and is still not able to follow simple commands. Can you recommend a treatment plan?
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012