Difficulty lifting right leg to climb stairs, pain in the right groin. Treatment ?

hi I have difficulty lifting my right leg to climb stairs etc,I get a pain in my right groin .also I have difficulty putting on my right sock can t bend down to pull on the sock,like I can with the left.I am in no pain,only when I walk,or try to step up.when I walk It s as if my right leg wants to give way,therefore I tend to walk with a limp. I have had this condition about 4-5 weeks,does t seem to be getting any better.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

From the description given its likely that you have sustained muscle sprain.
The pain on movement is due to associated muscle spasm . So it is important to relieve it. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help.

1 Hot water Fomentation: Either by towel soaked in hot water or by hot water bag. Intermittent application of heat for 15 to 20 minutes each session 4 to 5 times a day will be helpful

2. Muscle Relaxant: Oral taken muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone along with analgesic like Diclofenac Sodium will be helpful
3. Local application of Diclofenac Sodium gel will be helpful.
4. Adequate rest and avoiding sudden movement.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
From the description, I feel that you might have sustained a SOFT TISSUE STRAIN involving your ligaments or tendons.
Since the pain is persistent for 4-5 weeks it needs to be investigated. MRI scan is the investigation of choice to detect any such soft tissue abnormalities.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand and arm muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.