Diagnosed with tonsillitis. Was on Medrol Dospak and now on stronger antibiotics and steroids. Any alternate besides removal of tonsils?

For two months now I have been suffering from extreme fatigue, swollen and painful tonsils, ear draining, chills and nagging cough after eating or drinking.first Dr apt thought for sure it was strep, Dr did strep test and it came back neg. so dr called it tonsillitis and put me on antibiotic and medrol dospak. Before even completing tx I started feeling worse and went back to dr and they then tested me for mono and did another strep test and a blood workup. All came back neg and Dr again called it tonsillitis and put me on a stronger antibiotic and steriods. I started to feel a little better and redness to throat went away but swelling never fully went down and after a few weeks came back and I woke up with it swelled even worse. Went to Dr again and I was put on yet another stronger antibiotic with no steriods this time and Dr said if this doesnt do the trick he will refer me to ENT Dr as he thinks I will need my tonsils out. Let me add I am 30 yrs old and NEVER had this issue in my life. I am not crazy about having them removed and there has to be another solution as to why it just now started and a different tc
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013