Diagnosed with hyperthyroid, have weight gain, enervation and symptoms of hypothyroid. Does it mean I will continue putting on?

I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism today by an endocrinologist . I have gained about 50 pounds over the last few years and have recently suffered a loss of energy. I am also hot most of the time. I don t have the normal symptoms; in fact, I was certain I was hypothryoid. However, the tests clearly show hyper. I am concerned that since I have already been gaining weight , when my thyroid slows down, I will gain even more! I used to weigh 125; now I am 175. It has happened over 10-15 years, and I am 52 and in menapause, but I m tired of being fat!
Asked On : Mon, 21 May 2012