Diagnosed with enlarged prostate, scheduled for hernia surgery. Are hernia and prostrate linked?

Good morning Dr Chandan, I will be obliged if you kindly advise me for my father s problem, which is a combination of hernia and prostate. My father, now aged 87 years suffered from urine blockage problem 7 years ago. We consulted experienced specialists and enlarged prostate was diagnosed. We were ready for surgery when one of my friends suggested an ayurvadic medicine for blocked urine problem. Within one hour of taking that medicine, he started passing urine normally. For next few days, we and a Physician in our neighborhood watched carefully and kept catheter handy but he was absolutely normal. He is continuously staying with me, and I am also watchful but since that day onward (now for about 7 years), he has no problem, though he has not been operated for enlarged prostate. Today he has inguinal hernia (right side) and we are planning for surgery though there is no pain or emergency. But the surgeon found enlarged prostate in clinical examination, and he now advises for surgery for prostate too - because he says that hernia problem will reappear soon if prostate problem is not treated now. The doctor is not prepared to treat only hernia problem. He has already been operated for hernia (left side) some 16 years ago. Sir, my specific query is that is it necessary to operate for prostate too though there is absolutely no complaint related to that problem? Hernia and prostate are linked? If we treat only hernia, do we expect problem in near future from enlarged prostate? If yes, how and what is the level of seriousness? I will be highly obliged if you kindly advise me. I simply want to avoid surgery for him - especially at this age unless essential. Regards, Vineet Gupta YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013