Diagnosed with aplastic anemia, advised increase in platelet transfusions post rabbit serum-based treatment. Any other treatment options?

Hi, My 65 year old brother was diagnosed with aplastic anemia in December 2011. Six weeks ago, he had a rabbit serum-based treatment. He has since been in the hospital with blood on his lungs; it is thought that his platelet transfusions should be increased to prevent the bleeding . In any event, his regular doctor told my sister-in-law yesterday that it would be a miracle if he survives. I realize that this is a very unusual disease with not much history to go on. However, aren t there other alternatives than just giving up? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Apr 2012