Diagnosed with acute osteoarthiritis. What are the alternatives to surgery?

I have just been diagnosed with accute osteo arthritis in my right hip. My family Dr has made an appt. with a surgeon. What are the alternatives to surgery? My biggest concern, is that my right leg has poor circulation due to accute thrombophabitis 48 yrs ago, so severe that Drs. wanted to amputate my leg at the hip. I refused to sign the release. My appt. for the surgeon is in Nov., I do plan to go to talk to him, but I really do not want to resort to surgery is there is any other way to approach this. It is uncomfortable, and does limit my activities, but for the past 4 or 5 years I have dealt with it. Please advise. Sincerely, Diane Shantz
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Rest, Anti-inflamatory, physical therapy are conservative line of management and often relieves symptoms. If pain remains excruciating interfering your daily routine surgery (THR) offers hope and relief