Diagnosed to be mild whooping cough, on delsym and natural cough syrup, has fever and rash. Cause?

I took my 18 mo. old son to the pediatrician today b/c he woke up thru the night last night and while crying sounded like he was gasping for air. He also had runny yellow snot, was congested, and sneezing . The Doc said that he checked out completely and that he most likely just has a mild case of whooping cough . He said to get delsym and keep watching him in case it got worse. My question is it normal with whooping cough for him to get a fever and a rash. I did not get delsym and instead got a natural cough syrup made mostly of honey. I m wondering if his mild fever and rash is due to some other illness or a reaction to the honey in the cough syrup.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013