Diabetic taking glucovance 500mg. Sugar level becoming low. Reduced dosage. Both parents diabetic. Take alcohol regularly. Health risk and developing diabetic retenopathy?

Hi Doctor, Thanks in advance for your advise, I am 40M, and diabetic for last 2 yrs. sugar level. 170 fasting . Stay in UAE. My parents had diabetes. Father had diabetic retenopathy and kidney problem before resulting death. I started on Glucovance 500mg/2.5mg ( Metformin hydrochloride and glibenclamide ) but my sugar level is going low by afternoon. I started taking half tab. I take about 100 to 150ml alcohol reularly.( whisky). I play badminton for 1.5hrs every day as routine exercise. Please advise if I have the risk of getting worse due to intake of alcohol & is it necessary that I might develop diabetic retenopathy. Thank you Doctor.
Asked On : Mon, 7 May 2012