Diabetic having persisting deep cough. Pain in the legs and head. Due to allergies?

I've had a deep cough all my life. Sounds almost like bronchitis, which I do get once or twice a year, but the usual cough never really goes away, occurring about 4x an hour, sometimes seems like it won't stop. Have caused myself to throw up from it, not sick, just the action itself pulls it up. Very rarely, when I cough I get something like nerve pain seemingly starting at the tops of both legs & radiating down, with my head hurting then too. Once the coughing fit passes, no head or leg pain. Doctors have told me over the years: allergies (don't know to what), post-nasal drip, pretty much "live with it." But it scares pets & toddlers! Any ideas? Female, age 59, type 2 diabetes, bp averages 126/.72 with meds. Lisinopril makes the cough twice as bad. Thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013