Diabetic diet, Which foods should be avoided in diabetes ?

My father is diabetic since 2 years, he is taking medications for that. I just want to know what foods he needs to take to control his sugars aprt from the medications. What foods should be avoided and completely stopped ?
Asked On : Mon, 5 Oct 2009
yes diabetic should be very careful about the diet. my mom is diabetic she takes care of each and every minute things into consideration. she does not sweets only. she takes little rice. she uses more greenleafy vege. she also takes more ginger and garlic paste in the form of solution.
Dietitian & Nutritionist Grace Abraham's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic

The main Objectives of Diabetic diet are

1. No fasting or No feasting; 2.To maintain adequate nutrition; 3.To achieve and maintain desirable body weight. 4.To maintain normal blood sugar levels. 5.To prevent, delay or minimize the onset of chronic degenerative complications. 6.It is important to control the amount and time of food intake.Take six small meals instead of three big meals which are equally time spaced.

Foods to be avoided: Glucose, sugars, honey, jaggery, all sweets, chocolates, ice creams and candies.

Foods to be restricted: Vegetables like Potatoes, yam, arbi, sweet potatoes; Fruits like mango, bananas, sapota, seethaphal, and avocado .Alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages ,fried foods, Dry fruits and nuts, salad dressings like mayonnaise, cream ,etc, cakes and pastries, Tender coconut water, Refined flours like maida .Papad, Pickle, soda bicarbonate, MSG, sauces, Ketchups. Non-veg: Red meats, organ meats (liver, kidney), shell fish like prawns, crabs, lobster and egg yolk.

Foods to be used freely: Green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cucumber. Radish, carrot, homemade soups. Tea, Coffee without sugar, and skimmed milk, buttermilk. Whole wheat flour, Ragi, Corn flakes, Wheat flakes. Artificial sweeteners not more than 4 numbers/pellets per day. Use Low sodium salt only.
avoid sweets as much as possible and also oily and junk foods..dont take choclates....and take vegetables and take non veg once in a week and it is better to instead of chicken or mutton...
  Anonymous's Response

Yes food control is very much required.