Dark skin near groin, between inner thighs, suggested shaving of area. Causes for darkening?

Hello, up recently i have noticed that my skin near my groin area and inner thighs have darkened. I did used to itch these places a lot, is it because of that or is it something else. I was suggested to shave the area as it helps to keep these areas more clean. Well, I have since taken great care to keep these areas clean and the itching has stopped but the skin is still dark. Please suggest what should I do ?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012