Damaged ankle ligament, swelling, pain on walking. Using anti-inflammatory drugs. Treatment?

I ve a damaged ankle liagment since March it still hurts when I walk and is still swollen I m due to be going to XXXXX next week and I m worried about the flight.ive had X-rays and my gp has said everything is fine with my ankle but it can t be as it wouldn t still be swollen any advice I m still using anti inflame tries and resting my leg as much as possible
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think you should get MRI of the ankle to confirm the injury of the ligament. I would also suggest you to show it to a sports injury specialist who can tell you about ligament injury repair. If you want you can send me the MRI report as I routinely perform these type of surgeries. Result without surgery for such injury are quite bad.