Cut on fore finger, got heavy bleeding, applied antiseptic cream and bandage. How can i stop the bleeding?

Hi I caught the edge of my fore finger on my razor blade and took a chunk out. It won t stop bleeding. I applied cold water for a few mins to no avail and now after wiping with an antiseptic wipe I applied a sterile bandage I m worried as it hadn t seemed to stop bleeding. But can t see whether it has now because of bandage
Asked On : Wed, 23 May 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing in.

Any cut will bleed for a while before the clotting mechanism of the body stops the bleeding. It is good that you applied antiseptic wipe and bandaged the wound. You could have applied ice cubes to stop the bleeding. There is no need to do it now because you have put bandage. You can continue to apply some pressure over the finger for sometime. Please do to allow water to enter the wound. Keep it dry should it get wet unintentionally. You an take a tetanus toxid shot if not immunised earlier.

Hope it helps