Crack in my knee, it pops, burning sensation. Why? Can i use cane instead of walker?

I have 2 small crack in my knee..Have seen a Orthopedic doctor and have had ex rays. He said to use a walker for 4 weeks. I had a few questions to ask him, but had little time to do so..I had been walking with a cane. Wanted to know if I still could use the cane and not the walker....2. My knee pops when I walk. why? .3. I feel burning. in the knee cap area at times...4. Should I keep my leg stright as I walk like the other one? I go back to see home in 4 weeks.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013