Coughing blood clots. Cause? Difficulty breathing. Echocardiogram normal

Over the last three weeks I have coughed up blood clots in the morning. It is not small streaked phelem, as it is thick dark red blood that is clotty looking. I would say about 2 tsp of blood. It seems to come down from deep in my nasal passages and sort of gets stuck in my throat and then I cough it out of my mouth, but I am not 100% sure. I have never had this happen before. I went to the doctor and had blood work up and all was normal. I had a chest x ray and it was normal. I was told to wait and see if it happens again and if so, I need to see a pulmonologist . Wondering what could be the cause of this. I will say that the only other factor that I have had over the last year or so is shortness of breath. This has been bouts of a week or so of extreme shortness of breath over the past year. I saw a cardiologist this past summer and had an echocardiogram and all was good. What could this be?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013