Cough with phlegm, brown lumps. Have asthma and chronic bronchitis. Bacterial or viral infection?

I am 49 years old from very you I had Asthma and chronic Bhrocitus but I have seem to have grown out of that but know every year I get sick usually in November or February but this time I have a very phlegmy cough and last night I finally spit out some of that nasty phlegm and to my surprise it looked brown lumping with specs of white mixed in what do I have is a bacterial infection or is it a viral infection thank you Lorna
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012