Cough, throat irritation, sleeplessness, sticky saliva, spitting. Taken pulmoclox, cheston. Treatment?

I had been to a doctor recently, for having mild cough with throat irritation and pain. the doctor prescribed cheston - 3 times a day, and pulmoclox cap - 3 times a day. since two days the condition has deterioritated and I am just unable to sleep in night with uncessant cough, which is accompanied by sticky saliva , which I keep spitting throughout the night ... are these two medicines causing this? I think I was far better without them. Please advice. One more thing to add is when I sit upright the cough is less, when I sleep the cough is just unstoppable!
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012