Cough. Can a child be treated with brandy?

Hi Doctor My son is 13 monthsold and is coughing badly since last 2 days. One of my friend suggested to give him brandy as they are treating their 2 yrs old son with brandy and it is working quite well. I am not very convinced with the idea of giving alcohol to kids. Just wanted to know how brandy works in treating cold and what could be the side effect. I am sure there should be some. Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Dear Mrs Jayshree
Welcome to HCM
Greetings of the day
It is totally inadvisable to give alcohol in any form for treatment of cough. Alcohol acts as sedation and induces sleep and indirectly suppresses cough which could be counter productive in children which could lead to retaining of secretions and predispose to severe infection. Just remember cough is a protective reflex, so treat the cause of cough and it will be fine.
Time for you to visit a qualified personal like Pediatrician to seek professional advise instead of experimenting.
Take Care