Continuous cough, constant tickling in chest and phlegm, episode of choking and clamped throat, lungs seem to be clear. Advice?

Hello, I have had a cough for 6 weeks. I have just finished amoxicillan having taken it for 7 days, three times a day, at 500 mg. I still continue to cough, but it is now more aggressive. My doctor says it is from a post nasal drip . He claims that my lungs are clear, although I have this constant tickle in my chest . I was frightened yesterday as I was eating because I suddenly could not breathe. Logically you would have thought I was choking but it seems as though my throat just clamped. Inhaling was a problem. It was quick and as I swallowed I could breathe again. I have also had a constant phlegm that wont move right around my vocal chords and I try hard to clear it. I have never experienced a cough for so long and I am worried. My doctor insists my lungs are clear after two visits. After choking I went to the hospital they kept me waiting for hours. I will revisit my doctor on Monday. I would appreciate any advice. Thank-you.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012