Continuous back pain, back muscle spasm from lower back to shoulder, temporary relief with co-codamol. Suggestion?

I have had back pain for two weeks now, it began when I lifted my grandson over a low fence. Since then I have been taking pain killers to allow me to move. I went back to work for a week and then went on holiday to Brighton, while there the pain returned and I had a very bad muscle spasm and have been in agony since then. It is across my lower back and travels up to my left shoulder . The only thing that brings releif is co-codamol, when that wears off the pain is back and I am almost immobile with the pain. I have also had several chriopractor appointments. Can you help?
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012