Constipated. Tried Laxette and Pegicol. Hard and black stool. What should I do?

Hi, my son is a year old and has been on solid foods for almost 3 months. recently he has been getting constipated on a daily basis. I have tried laxette and pegicol for softening the stool . This works however i am afraid of having to give this tohim on a daily basis. I eliminated rice, meat , bread from his meals but the constipation persisted. I then changed his formula from Nan3 to Similac total comfort. Its been a week since I have changed the formula and the problem seems to be still there. His stool is black and hard. I give him to prune juice, pears, apple juice. Please can you advise what should I do as i am running out of options
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013