Constant back pain. MRI showed mild degenerative disc disease. What does it mean and treatment?

I am 48 years old and have had lower back pain for years .I finally asked my Dr to do an Mri . Can you please help me understand what they mean?. At L4-l5 ,there is minimal disc desiccation and mild lateral bulging on the disc.No significant neuroforaminal compromise is seen , but there is narrowing of the lateral recess, with the disc abutting the descending left L5 nerve root . At L5-S1 there is disc desiccation and there is a mild posterior diffuse disc bulge.No significant spinal canal stenosis or neuroforaminal compromise is seen. IMPRESSION: MILD DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE AT L4-L5 AND L5-S1.THE DISC BULGE AT L4-L5 IS ASYMMETRIC TOWARDS THE LEFT, NARROWING THE LEFT LATERAL RECESS AND ABUTTING THE DESCENDING LEFT L5 NERVE ROOT. Doctor told me to do physical therapy and if pain persists to call him to get an order to see a Spine dr. The problem is that I am in constant pain, my left side is totally numbed, i feel tingling that goes to my hands, and arm (left side) and neck. Mild degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 AND L5-S1.The disc bulge
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012