Cold like symptom in a child. Varnishing house. Strong smell. Harmful?

My 5 week old baby is in a house where they have been varnishing the stairs....I just found out. He has cold like symptoms and the people are coming back to the house to apply a second cost tmrw. The smell is very strong. I am working away at the moment and just heard about it.... There is aircon in the house, but I am worried about the 3.5kg baby sleeping for 2 nights in the house.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

Some people are allergic to smell of paints. There might be a possibility that your child is allergic to the smell of paint and have developed symptoms which resemble to that of cold.

You should remove the contact of the baby to the smell by shifting the baby to another cleaner portion of the house.

If the symptoms persists, get your baby examined clinically.
Antihistamine drops can be given after discussing with as the Paediatrician.

I hope this is helpful to you.