Cold, cough, vomiting, dehydration. Given tecta, hydrocortisone. Done X ray. Suggestion?

I had a cold 4 months ago, it went away for a couple weeks and then suddenly I had this barking cough at night, I went to my family doctor, who said it was ulcers and was given Tecta, it did nothing, and the cough has now been on going for 2 and a half months. I have been to the E.R. and they prescribed inhalers for asthma which only made my cough worse, and by worse I mean much much worse, I cough so hard I vomit up all my food/liquid, I went to the E.R. again last night and they gave me fluids since I was dehydrated as well as a nebulizer which made me cough so much more! I was given my records and am going to see my family doctor in the morning but they mentioned that my xrays and blood work is all normal, they prescribed hydrocodone just so I could sleep and eat without coughing but I still cough - just not as much. I am worried this is something serious, I never had asthma before and the inhalers didn't help, the E.R. doctor mentioned something about "reactive airway disease" which seems pretty vague, can you give me any indications of what this might be? Or what tips I can follow to help "reactive airway disease" if that is my diagnosis? I was told I may need a bone scan for women my age that have chronic coughs and chest pain. I have a heart condition (left heart muscle was englarged when born) and a slight murmur and hope this cough has nothing to do with that? Is it possible its a serious illness? I was told to get a CT and allergy test as well. Any point in the right direction would be so good.. I feel helpless and am scared.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013