Cold, cough, redness in eyes, vomited mucus. What is wrong?

My son was sleeping. He had cold n cough so my wife was applying a little eucalyptus oil on his t shirt but there was jerk n oil feel on his face a little. He cried n eyes were red for first five mins. We cleaned his eyes with cold wet cloth n he says he is fine. His eyes r not red now. Its midnight here. Is there Anything more we can do now before we see a doctor tomorrow morning or should we call a doctor now. He vomitted but it was all mucus and now he is fine
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query.
The redness of eyes is due to the reaction to that oil.
Clean his eyes with clean sterile water and a soft clean cloth.
As the child is having cough, they usually swallow the mucus and because of stomach irritation by mucus or because of posttussive vomitings they vomit the mucus.
Consult your doctor for the examination of his eyes and medication for it including cold and cough.
Hope I have answered your query.
Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response
I think what you did was right ;washing the eyes with good amount of water is all what would be required .Watch for redness in eyes by tomorrow.He is suffering from Upper respiratory infection he would require medication for tis but i dont think it is an emergency situation ,you can wait till morning .If he develops fever give him paracetamol syrup.Vomiting would stop once his cough comes under control.
Take Care
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Redness in eyes is due to oil irritation.
Wash eyes gently with clean water and gently wipe with sterilized cotton.
children cannot expectorate so they pass mucus either through vomitus or stools.
You can get him examined by doctor tomorrow.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless.